Magnetic Pin Bowls



Here is an affordable way to make a magnetic pin "cushion" for your pins.  This project ended up being a happy accident in the end, but this is how you can make one for yourself.
I needed something to hold pins next to the sewing machines for my sewing classes.  I love my magnetic pin "cushion" that I have, but they can be spendy, especially since I needed 4 of them.  I saw people spray painting these magnetic bowls that you can find at harbor freight that are used for parts and they are less than $3 each.  This seemed to be the perfect solution!





 First, I used painters tape to cover the magnet and spray painted the top and bottom.  But after the 3rd coat, the paint crackled and looked terrible on the inside.  I didn't want to start over, so I decided to save them by modge podging the inside with fabric where the paint cracked.  I sanded and smoothed out the surface then cut out a fabric circle larger than the bowl, just big enough to cover the inside and sides.  After modge podging those on, I used crocheted bias tape that I had hot glued and modge podged on around the rim.  Make sure to overlap the ends.

Now I have 4 happy accident magnetic pin bowls that work perfectly!


1 comment