Getting Started...Sewing IS Fun!

                                                      
I have heard from many people who have sewed in the past that say "sewing is frustrating".  I wouldn't disagree because I've been there, but it's usually because the sewing machine isn't cooperating or a pattern is confusing.  Once you fix those two things, sewing is actually really fun and for me, therapeutic! 

First, make sure you have a sewing machine that works properly!  My first sewing machine I bought was a used one, and the bobbin thread was always wadding up under my projects, I just could not figure out how to fix it.  When I finally saved enough money to buy a decent machine, sewing went so much smoother and I haven't had any problems, at least nothing that I can't figure out.  I've had my machine for about 7 years now and still love it!

How much do you have to spend?  I bought my Juki machine for about $400, but you don't even need to spend that much.  In my sewing studio I have machines that cost roughly $100/each.  Figure out what your budget is, what you want to use it for (clothes, quilting, crafts, etc.), and when you shop read the reviews.  I find the reviews are very helpful!  So far my $100 machines have been working flawlessly.  When you are having stitching problems, RETHREAD YOUR MACHINE!  This almost always fixes the problem!

Now when it comes to patterns, start with something that isn't going to be too difficult for you, start at your level and work your way up.  I personally think store bought patterns can be confusing.  It seems like they sometimes miss a step, assuming you already know, it's not always clear.  But people have put out helpful tutorials or videos to help, just search your pattern online and someone may have a lesson how to make that pattern.  I personally like to find tutorials that someone crafty has already figured out and has clear directions with pictures describing how to make the project.  After you do some of these projects you will get better and may even be able to customize a pattern of your own.

Don't be afraid to start, just do it! 



No comments